A Note About Class Placement Requests…
We would like to start off by saying, Class Placement Requests are not a necessary part of the process. Bastion has a history of accepting numerous placement requests, and moving forward we would like to work towards minimizing the number of requests received. Class placement requests should focus on the child’s placement based on educational reasons. Please read the following carefully prior to submitting your request.
In June, the School-Based Team (SBT) will meet and discuss the class placement of each student. Tentative classes for September 2020 will be created in June, then finalized during the first week of September. The SBT consists of the outgoing and potential receiving classroom teachers, Learning Resource Teacher, Vice-principal and Principal. The SBT looks at the strengths and needs of the children and the team will make decisions based on the following:
High Priority Considerations
• Instructional groupings;
• Class composition, including special needs requirements;
• Social/cultural issues (independence, interactions, leadership);
• Behavioural/social concerns;
• Diversity in development (academic, social, emotional).
Middle Priority Considerations
• Groupings in previous years;
• Dominant grade grouping;
• Physical/social maturation;
• Learning style;
• Siblings and relations.
Lower Priority Considerations
• Friendships (Please note… requests based on friendships must be reciprocated and submitted by all families involved in the specific request);
• Teacher-learner compatibility;
• Class size (room to accommodate new students).
Student placement requests for September 2020, will be accepted starting May 13th. Requests must be submitted by May 29th, in order to be considered.
If parents or guardians have a specific request for their child(ren)’s class placement for September 2020, please submit a letter to Mr. Menzies (emailed directly to Mr. Menzies at email@example.com). The letter must clearly outline the request as well as provide specific educational reasons for the placement request.
When creating tentative classes, parent requests will be considered. However, we are unable to guarantee that requests can be fulfilled. We are unable to guarantee specific placements, as we must consider what is best of all 380 students and we cannot guarantee that all teaching assignments will remain the same.